Monday, August 30, 2010

Meet Charles

This is Charles
This is a painting of Charles Warren that I did for "Art From the Heart" in Atlanta Ga. Many portrait artists donated these paintings to the families of these fallen heroes. It was an effort made possible by Atlanta Fine Arts League.
Charles was a nurse in Pediatric Intensive Care at a Children's Hospital in Atlanta, before going to Iraq. His wife Carol was expecting another baby when he left. That little girl was born just before he was k.i.a. The button on his shirt was one he wore on his uniform, and was the new born picture from the hospital. I added the button to this painting because someday it will belong to Maddie.
Carol wrote me a letter telling me about Charles and his love of life and family. I would be laughing or crying, but I would be touched by this brief meeting of him. I gave it my all!
The offering of the portraits to the family was at the Museum of Patriotism. That evening I finally got to meet his family, and when Jackson got to see the painting he said,"that is my daddy". I told him to touch it whenever he wanted, because it was theirs.
Just think- some paint, brushes, lot's of hours of working, and love- and I was able to give that family something that will be with them forever. How lucky am I?????
The next post I will do is the painting that will eventually go to Jackson, of him and his Daddy on their very last outing.

No comments:

Post a Comment